Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More on characters

As I said in my previous post, I've always been a plot kind of gal when it comes to my writing. When it comes to my reading, though, I love great characters. They're the reason I keep turning the pages. I need to find out how they cope with and triumph over the challenges and conflicts that are set before them.

Here are some of my favorites:

-- Ender Wiggin. He's great in "Ender's Game" but even better in "Speaker for the Dead." My favorite scene in that latter book by Orson Scott Card has nothing to do with the Piggies. It's when Ender first meets the Ribeira children and he tames the youngest one, Grego, and gains the trust of the others. They so desperately need a father figure, and Ender needs a family, too. It's a beautiful scene.

-- Lawrence and Temeraire, starting with "His Majesty's Dragon." Lawrence is a Naval officer and Temeraire is the dragon he accidentally "impresses" (to borrow a term from Anne McCaffrey). I love watching their friendship bloom and how they become a fantastic, inseparable team.

-- Harry Potter. The best part for me is watching him grow from a boy to a young man. But as far as characters go, he's not my favorite. I love Snape. He hates Harry as an extension of Harry's father but he works for the good guys. Or does he? That slippery fellow keeps us guessing to the end.

-- In a nod to TV, I love Sydney Bristow of "Alias." My favorite part: her on-again-off-again relationship with Vaughn. I was never so happy as when I saw at the end that they had ended up together.

No comments: