Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Denver, One Book

I finished reading "Pride and Prejudice," which I'm surprised I really enjoyed. It's far out from my normal tastes and took some extra work on my part to understand the 19th century prose, but the story was fantastic.

But, as I have closed that book, I was in need of another. I remembered the One Book, One Denver program had this year picked "The Thin Man" by Dashiell Hammett, and I decided to give it a try. I have never read a mystery. Ever. (But until "Pride and Prejudice" I had never read a Jane Austen, either.) So this will be another way of branching out in my reading material. I've gotten through the first chapter (I just bought the book a couple of hours ago) and I do like Hammett's style. I also like that the chapters average about five pages each, which makes for easy cutoff points when kids interrupt my reading. That happens quite often.

You know what I've never read? A mystery fantasy. Hmm. There's a story idea.

On a side note, Paul Newman died last night. Very sad. He was one of the great actors. I tried to tell my 12-year-old who he was, but the only thing I could think of that Kodey has seen that had Paul Newman in it was "Cars." He was the voice of Doc. I have to get him to watch "The Sting" with me some night.

No comments: