Friday, October 24, 2008

Boo!

Halloween's a comin'. My boys have chosen to dress up as Jason, and one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My baby girl will be a devil. We're likely going to Boo at the Zoo tomorrow morning because I'm working Halloween night and won't be able to take them trick-or-treating. That's one of the major drawbacks to working in journalism: The newspaper comes out every day, so there are copy editors working every day, too. That really cuts into family time. I've asked off for Christmas Eve, but I'll likely work Christmas Day and Thanksgiving.

I've been reading a lot of short stories lately. I haven't even picked up a novel since I finished The Thin Man. I have recent issues of Asimov's and Fantasy and Science Fiction on the dresser by my bed. I intended to pick up one of the mystery magazines the other day -- Ellery Queen or Hitchcock's -- but didn't get around to it. I'd like to read some stories in other genres. I mean, who knows ... maybe I'll be interested in writing a mystery at some point.

I've finished the first draft of "The Other Body" and am now trimming every bit of fat that I can find. I want to get it down to 7,000 words, which is a cut of about 800 words. I can usually do that without damaging the flow of the story, and I usually manage to improve it. So far I think I can honestly say that every story I've written is better than the one before it, and I'm excited to see what I can do next.

No comments: