Thursday, July 16, 2009

David Eddings

I was saddened about a month ago when I read about the death of one of my favorite authors, David Eddings. His books were a big part of my teenage years. After tonight, I also have great respect for David Eddings the person.

On tomorrow's front page of The Denver Post is a story about $10 million Eddings left to National Jewish to fund treatment and research of pediatric asthma. His wife apparently had asthma, but the donation came as a surprise to the hospital.

What a fantastic thing for him to do.

On another subject: I'm reading a Writers of the Future anthology published about four years ago. I recognize two writers' names in there: Cat Sparks and Ken Scholes, the latter of whom wrote a fun piece about Houdini escaping Hell. I'm trying to get a better idea of what kind of story the judges like.

No comments: