Monday, July 13, 2009

What I'm reading

Today at the library, I picked up "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. I was astounded at the heft of the hardback, about 900 pages. I haven't read a book that long since I gave up on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series several years ago. I hope Stephenson keeps his tale moving at a faster pace.

Now this is a novel I know next to nothing about. I've never read anything by Stephenson, although the book jacket says he has written seven other novels. I picked it up because it is a nominee for the Hugo and winner of the Locus Award, and because I was looking for some fresh science fiction.

On the writing front, I've started another story (untitled for the moment) while I'm waiting for the critique process to run its course on "The Babel Project." I'm about 2,500 words in. This is going to be a long one, for me at least, and it is my first attempt at utilizing the principles I picked up from Rust Hills' "Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular." We'll see how it turns out.

No comments: