Monday, September 14, 2009

Update

It's been awhile since I posted, but because as I'm probably the only person who reads my own blog (except for the occasional surfer who stumbles across it), that won't matter much in the greater scheme of things.

I put my Writers of the Future submission for this quarter in the mail this morning. This one went through so many revisions that for the first time, I have little to no feel for how good it is. I guess I'll find out in about three or four months when the contest results start coming in.

Meanwhile, results have not yet been posted for last quarter. I sent in my story in mid-May, so it has been almost exactly four months during which my curiosity has morphed into anxiety. I have entered two times previously and received honorable mentions both times. I think my third submission, "Cowboy Jake and the Moon Men," is the best story of the lot and I'm crossing my fingers for semifinalist status. The anxiety part comes from the fear that it won't place at all.

The book I'm reading now is "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. It's excellently written with great characterizations but is too slow in its pacing for my taste. I'm almost 100 pages in, and not much has happened yet.

No comments: