Thursday, October 28, 2010

Writing process

I've recently noticed a pattern emerging in how I do my writing. I spend a day or two mulling over the next scene in my work in progress, whatever that happens to be, before I write a word. I get it all set in my mind - not only the overall arc of the scene but also the details, dialogue, descriptions, pacing and so on. I have most of the section "written," down to the specific phrasing I plan to use, before I type a word. The next step is to spend a couple of uninterrupted hours doing the actual writing (usually anywhere from two to six pages), and I spend another day or so refining the scene.

That's not exactly the most efficient process. My word count is about 1,000 to 1,500 words every three to four days. Most serious writers kick out that many words in one day. I suspect most serious writers don't have to deal with the time-sucks of a full-time job and three children, but those are just excuses. If I plan to someday become a successful writer (as in, get professionally published), I need to do better.

In other news, I went to MileHiCon for the first time this past weekend. I had a great time, attended some good panels and met several of my fellow writers in the "Six Guns" anthology.

No comments: