Sunday, December 5, 2010

My support group

Support groups. If you're a writer, these are invaluable. A support group is very different from a critique group. The latter gives you an honest assessment of your work, while the former tells you that you and your work are brilliant - no matter what.

My support group is small and mainly consists of my family. My dad, especially. My parents are the ones who hooked me on reading from a young age, and I will be eternally grateful to them for that. Now that I'm writing, I make sure every story ends up in their hands. When I make a sale, my dad is one of the first people to know and is always excited for me. He and my youngest sister came to the "Six Guns" book signing a few weeks ago, and boy was I happy to see their familiar faces.

The other major member of my support group is my husband. Now, he doesn't read anything I write. He has no interest whatsoever in fantasy or science fiction (or fiction in general), which makes his support all the more amazing. He is understanding when I take my laptop to the bedroom (often the only quiet room in the house) and shut the door to do some writing. He keeps the kids out of my hair. And most importantly, he listens to my ranting impatience over waiting for some magazine or another to respond to a submission and sympathizes when a rejection hits particularly hard. Through all that, he never tells me I'm being obsessive (which I often am).

I've been doing the writing thing seriously for 2 1/2 years now. I would not have made it this far without my supporters. If you're a writer, find those people who cheer you on no matter what and thank them. I do.

No comments: