Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bits and pieces

I finally got around to watching "Inception" the other night. (Warning: skip to the next paragraph if you don't want to be spoiled.) About a half-hour in, I turned to my husband and said, "I bet this whole thing is Cobb's dream." So with the idea planted in my head (ha ha), I picked up on all the little clues dropped along the way that, yes, the whole movie was taking place in his subconscious. Then, toward the end when Cobb was talking with his dead wife, the movie dropped that same idea like an anvil. And in the end, you find out ... nothing. Maybe it was a dream, maybe it wasn't. I think the point the movie was trying to make was: This is the world Cobb has chosen, so it doesn't matter whether it's real or not. But I was left yelling angrily at the television. For me, all the cool special effects and awesomely complex dream-within-a-dream stuff couldn't overcome the lack of resolution. It's the same problem I had with "Total Recall" a decade ago.

In writing news:
-- I received my first royalty payment for my story in "Six-Guns." That's the first time I've ever received royalties for anything, so it was a nice moment.
-- I managed to write about 1,000 words on my work-in-progress last night after the kids were in bed. That's a high level of productivity for me. Hopefully I can keep up the pace.

No comments: