Monday, January 24, 2011

Old idea in a new way

I finished the first draft of my next WotF story more than a week ago. In the meantime, with no other ideas, I haven't done much writing beyond revisions on a year-old story. That's because I had no ideas from which to build a narrative. Strike that: no good ideas.

About 5:30 a.m. this morning, when I was rocking my youngest back to sleep, I had a brainflash. An old idea that I've played with a couple of times before suddenly resurfaced in a new context. It started more than a year ago with a single word I read in a novel: wordscraper. I've tried twice before to use the concept of a physical building made of words, once in a fantasy story and once in near future science fiction. Neither worked. When this old idea, revised, came to me this morning, I knew I finally had it right. This idea will work and perhaps do so brilliantly. Time to go brainstorm.

No comments: