Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nebula nominations

The Nebula Award nominations came out today. These are like the Oscars of fantasy and science-fiction, voted on by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. You can read the whole list here.

What I find interesting is the continuing shift in short fiction toward online markets. Among short stories, at least four of the seven nominees were published in online magazines (I say at least because I don't know what Dark Faith is). The Big Three (Asimov's, F&SF and Analog) did better in the novelette and novella categories. Even so, Subterranean snuck three nominees in the novella category, two of them available to read for free online.

Among the novel nominees, I've read Mary Robinette Kowal's "Shades of Milk and Honey" and I own Connie Willis' "Blackout/All Clear" but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. And I'm happy to see a Doctor Who episode among the nominees for dramatic presentation.

No comments: