Saturday, March 26, 2011

Actors I would watch in anything

I came across this today. It started me thinking about which science-fiction actors I would watch in anything. In no particular order, here are my top 5:

Karl Urban
I first saw him on Xena: Warrior Princess as Cupid and Caesar. I didn't become a fan until he came to DragonCon one year as part of the Xena contingent. What a fantastically gracious guy. Since then, he's become a star with movies such as Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy, Lord of the Rings and Red. I also enjoyed The Price of Milk, with fellow Xena alum Danielle Cormack. The not-so-good: Pathfinder, Doom, and a failed television show pilot that looked a lot like Firefly before Firefly. What was it called again? Ah, yes, The Privateers.

Peter Wingfield
"Comes a Horseman" was the first Highlander episode I ever watched, and it wasn't Adrian Paul who hooked me on the show. Of all his roles, I like his Highlander character Methos best. I also enjoyed his work on 24 and Caprica, and in the second X-Men movie. But if you name a science-fiction show in the last 10 years, he has probably guest-starred on it at some point. The not-so-good: Riverworld was terrible. And Catwoman. And Highlander: The Source.

Jennifer Garner
My introduction to Jennifer Garner was as the super-smart, butt-kicking Sydney Bristow on Alias, which I think is her best work to date. Also enjoyable: The Invention of Lying, Juno, 13 Going on 30, Catch and Release. The not-so-good: Pearl Harbor, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Elektra.

Amy Acker
I first saw her on Angel, as the sweet, smart and crazy Winifred Burkle and, later on, the not-so-sweet but still crazy Illyria. Both performances were great, and I'm not sure I can pick which was better. I also loved her work on Alias and Dollhouse. As for the not-so-good, I can't think of any.

David Tennant
I first saw him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, although I didn't know at the time who David Tennant was and he didn't make much of an impression. I became aware of him as an actor in his role as the Tenth Doctor on Doctor Who. He wasn't my first Doctor - that's Matt Smith - but he is my favorite one. He also makes a fantastic Hamlet. The not-so-good: He was appropriately creepy in Secret Smile, but the movie didn't have much else going for it.

Honorable mentions: Summer Glau, Sean Bean, Lucy Lawless, Bradley Cooper

No comments: