Wednesday, March 9, 2011

More bits and pieces

I finished reading Orson Scott Card's "Pathfinder" a couple of nights ago. I noticed it follows a pattern from several of his other books: A separate storyline of sorts is told over the course of the book in segments at the beginning of each chapter; and the protagonist is a gifted teenage boy. I like how the story manages to come across as both science fiction and fantasy at the same time. It's not my favorite OSC book, but it's worth reading.

Mark your calendars: Doctor Who Season 6 has a U.S. premiere date: April 23. Read more here.

In "Creating Short Fiction" Damon Knight says it's rare for a writer to write protagonists of the opposite sex. Men write about men, and women write about women. In looking at my sold stories, all five have male protagonists. In all my original fiction, I have used a female protagonist four times (including in the story I am working on now). Also, there are plenty of female novelists who write male protagonists on a regular basis: Anne McCaffrey, Ursula K. Le Guin, Naomi Novik, Katherine Kurtz. I wonder whether Mr. Knight is off-base with his assumption, or if conventions have changed since he wrote the book.

No comments: