Sunday, March 13, 2011

On Facebook no more

Well, folks, I did it. I quit Facebook cold turkey and, yes, I am having withdrawal symptoms. My fingers itch to send me into that social-networking paradise where my former co-worker from 10 years ago tells what she ate for breakfast and my mother's second cousin shares what she thinks about the situation in Libya. I also want to post about the trivial moments of my own life, like the Volkswagen Bug I saw that was painted just like Herbie the Love Bug.

Why did I cut myself off from such simple joys?

The first reason is the more noble one. Facebook sucks up too much of my time that I could spend on more important things.

The second reason is more personal. There were some trolls among my friends. The intentions behind some posts were misinterpreted (which goes to show how hard it is to achieve clarity in writing in any forum). Words were exchanged. I apologized for my part in what happened, but the apology was neither accepted nor reciprocated. I decided to unfriend the trolls. But I realized that to purge the trolls completely, I would also have to purge our mutual friends, people I did not want to insult with such an action. It might have made a bad situation worse. In the end, I decided my best course of action was to delete only one person: myself.

So far, three people have noticed I left: my husband, my mother and one of the trolls, who I'm told took advantage of my absence to slander me on a wall post. (Or is that libel? It is in print ...) But the vast majority of my friends will not notice one missing voice amid the noise. My former co-worker and my mother's second cousin will never know I'm gone, nor care if they do. Such is the kind of world we live in.

No comments: