Friday, April 8, 2011

When (potentially) good stories go bad

Today in writing: A couple of developments to report. First, I have received my fastest rejection ever - 22 hours - and it was a personal rejection at that. My fantasy story had too many contemporary elements for the market. Beyond that, I'm at a sad point in my writing process that happens a couple times a year. I've realized my WIP is evolving into a story that I do not want to write and, if I were a reader, I would not want to read. Ouch. In such cases, I think it's best to shelve the story in question, instead of trying to force it to work, and move onto the next one with hopes of a better result.


Today in reading: I'm way behind on this one, but I noticed today that Fantasy Magazine has changed its format to match its sister publication Lightspeed. I like the new format much better - easier to navigate. While I was on the site, I read a reprint from George R.R. Martin called The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr. I don't always like Martin's stuff (his Song of Ice and Fire series drags at times). But on this story, I kept thinking: This is the sort of stuff I want to write and how I want to write it. I'll go through it a second time tonight or tomorrow (or whenever I have time) to do a basic analysis of how the story is structured.

Today in real life: I am wire editor and therefore in charge of the story about the impending federal government shutdown. At the time I'm writing this, the deadline to reach a resolution is in three hours. It's possible the GOP and Dems could come to an understanding, but I think it's more likely this standoff will drag into the weekend.

Bits and pieces:

No comments: