Monday, May 23, 2011

Kids + expensive object = broken

Today in real life: One of the things kids are really, really good at is breaking stuff. It's rarely intentional, but it happens on a regular basis. The latest casualty is my son's glasses. He put them on top of his headboard before going to sleep, and they dropped behind the bed. By the time they were found two days later, after a house-wide search, they were in multiple pieces. So we'll be heading over to an optical store tomorrow for new frames.

Today in writing: I've hit 3,000 words in six days, which was the goal. That's the good news. The bad news is that the scene I wrote last night isn't working. It's ripe for conflict and suspense and not living up to its potential. So I'm going to rethink what I'm doing, backtrack a few hundred words and try again. This time I'll pull out the handy-dandy notebook and pen and do the scene longhand. Something so simple as changing the medium in which I write can give me a whole new perspective.

No comments: