Monday, June 20, 2011

Doctor Who: Midseason wrap-up

As promised, my thoughts on the first half of the sixth season of Doctor Who. Because I know you've all been at the edge of your seats, waiting to read what I have to say.

Best episode: This is a tough one, but I'll go with The Doctor's Wife, with The Impossible Astronaut running a close second. I love The Doctor's Wife not only because it is quite entertaining and well-written, but also because of how it made me look at an old character in a completely new way. Plus, the show-runners kept up David Tennant's TARDIS control room all this time just so they could shoot one scene there for this episode.

Worst episode: The Curse of the Black Spot. Huge plot holes, bland pirates, characters acting against their personalities, lazy writing all around.

Best guest actor/actress: It's a toss up between Suranne Jones in The Doctor's Wife (who brought just the right amount of crazy to her role) and Mark Sheppard in The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon (because I like Mark Sheppard in just about anything).

Silliest plot device: "Oh my God! You killed Rory! You bastard!" I mean, seriously, how many times has he "died" so far this season? I count at least three.

Biggest Kleenex moment: The Doctor dies. And unlike Rory's many deaths, this one is for real. Amy, Rory and River watch it happen and can't do a thing to stop it, then give him a Viking funeral.

Best kiss: River plants one on the Doctor at the end of the Day of the Moon. Her dawning realization that (for her) it's their last kiss is heartbreaking.

Best dialogue exchange: (Let's see if I get this right)
House: "Fear me. I've killed hundreds of time lords."
Doctor: "Fear me, I killed all of them."
Love it.

Parting thoughts: The first seven episodes were a bumpy ride of fantastic to average and back again. Still, an average episode for Doctor Who is better than the best that many other shows produce, which is why I'm a fan. I like the overall arc for the season so far, with Amy's pregnancy and abduction, and the subsequent reveal of River Song's identity. I'm interested to see where Moffat and Co. take the story in the fall, but I'm not so interested that I'm chomping at the bit. I can wait. And watch Torchwood and True Blood in the meantime.

No comments: