Friday, June 10, 2011

Progress report

I haven't updated my writing progress for a while and that's mostly because I haven't made much progress this week. The kids are now out of school and underfoot during the day, which cuts down on writing time significantly. I've been doing most of my writing longhand in a notebook at the kids' swimming lessons. I'm up to 7,500 words on the Writers of the Future entry with about three weeks until the quarter's end. It'll get done, but there won't be much time for revising. That will probably work in my favor because I tend to make things worse when I rewrite.

Also, I have received my certificate for my silver honorable mention in the first quarter for Writers of the Future, and it's twice as large as a regular HM certificate. I'll post a photo of the two for comparison sometime this weekend. Suffice to say, I don't know what to do with the new one. I keep my others in plastic sleeves in a three-ring binder, but this one won't fit. And I'm not going to frame it. It's a very nice rejection, but a rejection nonetheless.

3 comments:

Aaron Hughes said...

Hey, Jennifer,

If you'd like to know more about what you'll experience when you win the Writers of the Future Contest, you might want to come down to the Broadway Book Mall on Sunday, June 26, at 3:00 p.m. (I know you're familiar with the shop -- you'll be appearing there next month.) I'm one of the Volume 27 winners and I'll be there, hopefully along with illustrator winner Erik Jean Solem, to talk about the Contest and to sign copies of Vol 27.

My self-serving reasons for suggesting you might want to check it out: (i) I'm trying to get some bodies at the signing, since with all of three published stories to my credit, I don't have any actual fans; (ii) I could get you to sign "Snake Oil," which I really enjoyed. No hard feelings, obviously, if you have other things going on that afternoon.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Hi Aaron.

I would love to go! I planned to buy the new WotF anthology anyway, and getting it signed by one of the winners is a big bonus. I'd also enjoy hearing about the workshop.

And thank you for the compliment on "Snake Oil." I don't come across many people who have read any of my stories because, like you, I'm not widely published. I sometimes wonder how that story would have done in the WotF contest.

Aaron Hughes said...

Great! I think you won't be disappointed with the book. I can't judge my own piece, but the others are an outstanding group of stories.