Thursday, June 23, 2011

Third time's the charm. I hope.

Sorry for the blog silence this week, but there's a good reason for it. I'm writing, damn it! When I'm blogging, that means I'm not writing fiction, and I need to write fiction right now because ...

There is exactly one week left until the end of the quarter for Writers of the Future and I do not have a story.

I have one story that is hopeless. I have another story that is a hot mess and would take longer to fix than I have before the submission deadline. So I am doing what any run-of-the-mill insane person would do, and I am writing a third story. In one week. And guess what? It's working. So far, at least, this story is clicking in a way that the previous two did not. The idea of it excites me. It will be on the short side, but that's all right. Length does not determine quality.

Since 9 p.m. Tuesday, I have written 2,500 words. I'm about halfway to "the end." I expect to have a workable draft done by Friday night.

In the meantime, while you're waiting with baited breath for the announcement that I have finished The Story, go read this because it's hilarious: How to Become an Author in Five Incredibly Difficult Steps.

No comments: