Thursday, June 30, 2011

Writers of the Future ... ?

Editing this post on 7/1 to add: There has apparently been a mistake. Judge K.D. Wentworth this morning indicated that she has not yet finished sorting the semi-finalists and finalists for second quarter. I have e-mailed the contest administrator to find out what my true status is and will update my blog when I receive a response.

#

I received proof today of something I've heard repeatedly about writing but have never before experienced for myself: A writer is the worst judge of her own work.

I was not overly impressed with my quarter 2 entry in the Writers of the Future Contest. I came to think of it as "that damn rewrite " and thought it might earn an honorable mention if judge K.D. Wentworth was feeling generous. Instead, it has been named a semi-finalist, which puts it in the top 16 stories out of possibly thousands for the quarter. (It is never made clear how many stories are submitted.)

If you want to talk to me today, you're going to have to come find me out here in space because I am over the moon!

4 comments:

Grayson said...

AWESOME, Jennifer! Woo hooooooooooo!

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Thank you, Grayson. I saw on the WotF forum that you received an HM. Congrats! Keep at it. I figure if we newbies keep entering long enough, we're bound to either win or pro-out at some point.

Aaron Hughes said...

Congratulations, Jennifer! According to Brad Torgersen, that puts you in the top 1% of all submissions.

It's true that authors can't judge their own work, but the greater lesson here is your writing is getting stronger and stronger.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Thank you, Aaron. I have expressed frustration here on my blog a few times over the years that I was not able to break out of the honorable mention category. I'm estatic that seems to be changing. But I still have a ways to go to match your success in the contest.