Friday, July 29, 2011

Stuff and fluff

First off, a huge congratulations to Nicholas Tchan for winning in the second quarter of the Writers of the Future contest. Nick and I started trading stories here and there for critique a couple of years ago, but in recent months we have become full-fledged critique partners and very good friends. His winning story is one of the most imaginative and well-written WotF entries I have ever had the privilege to critique. In my opinion, no one deserves the win more.

Writing progress: No words yesterday, but I did a lot of brainstorming and world-building. This story is unusual (for me at least) in that each scene has its own unique setting. It's requiring me to stretch my imagination muscles more than is normal.

I also finally got around to registering for the Writers of the Future forum. I've been a lurker there for years and feel like I know many of the regular posters, but they don't know me. Time to change that.

Meanwhile, at the day job, I have a long weekend of U.S. government debt coverage ahead of me. Why the Democrats and Republicans, senators and representatives, can't find common ground and pass something -- anything -- to stop the U.S. from defaulting is beyond me. I'm starting to think there might be a contingent on Capitol Hill that actually wants to plunge the country back into recession.

No comments: