Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sale! To Digital Science Fiction

The other day on his blog, Tobias Buckell wrote about the difference between goals and milestones. Goals are things, as a writer, that you can control: how much and how often you write, for instance. Milestones are things you cannot control, such as selling a story. You can write the best story you can, research markets and submit, but you can't control whether the editor will accept it.

That's why, when I post my annual goals, they are always things I can control: word count, number of stories I want to complete, number of submissions I want to make.

Still, the milestones are worth celebrating, and I have one to celebrate today: my first pro-rate sale.

"Catch a Fallen Star," which also was a semi-finalist story in the second quarter this year in the Writers of the Future contest, is slated for publication in the sixth anthology of Digital Science Fiction in April 2012. This a relatively new but exciting market that is targeting the growing popularity of electronic publishing. The two anthologies released so far have both topped Amazon's rankings for science-fiction anthologies. I am thrilled that my story has found such a great home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's a big moment, worthy of celebration. :)

The Digital SF are good people to work with too.
--David Steffen

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Thank you, David. Congratulations to you, too, on your forthcoming publications in both the DSFs.

Grayson said...

Woo hoooooo! That's fantastic, Jennifer! Huge congratulations.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Thanks, Grayson. And I hope you get good news soon in WotF.