Monday, October 17, 2011

The good, the bad and the rainy

It's a cold, blustery, rainy day in Denver and the first day in months for which I had to put on a coat before leaving for work. That has fed my already gloomy mood.

The good news first: The first draft of what I hope will be my quarter 1 Writers of the Future entry is done and in the hands of my critique group. In turn, I've received four stories for critique in the past 48 hours, so I'll be working on those for the rest of the week. I want to finish with critiques by Friday, which is when MileHiCon begins.

The not-so-good news: As a writer, some days there are successes, and other days the rug gets pulled out from under you. In neither case do you have control over the situation. Such is the nature of the business. I had a rug day this week. Now I am focusing on the things I can control: what I write, how much I write and where I submit my stories. Hard work and perseverance are key to success.

I also have to remind myself that whatever weirdness happens to me, there's always someone else who has it worse. Man, oh man.

No comments: