Monday, October 24, 2011

I hate getting older

I pulled a muscle in my back this morning while attempting to pick up my daughter. Granted, she's big for a 4-year-old. But this sort of thing never happened a few years ago when my son was at that age. I now smell of Icy Hot because of the medicinal patch I have plastered to my back. It's the only way I can get through eight hours at my desk.

The last day of MileHiCon was anticlimactic, as the last days of all conventions tend to be. People are packing up and heading home; therefore, panels are more sparsely attended. The day's only panel with a full room was An Hour With Connie Willis. She was charming and engaging while talking about her upcoming projects, romantic comedies and the National Book Award fiasco. I neglected to bring my camera for the third day in a row, so I have no photos to share.

In writing: My critique group has really come through in nailing the primary problem with my WIP: I open with an "event" story and somewhere in the middle switch to a "character" story. Not good. This is going to take some serious rewriting, which is frustrating. I had hoped for the time to write a second story this quarter, but it probably won't happen.

No comments: