Saturday, October 15, 2011

Last night comedy. Today, protesters.

Last night, I went to a comedy club for the first time in 13 years, and only the third time ever. The opening act at the Improv in Denver, Alex Scott, attended the same high school in Culpeper, Va., that my husband did and they are Facebook friends. So Alex set us up with some comp tickets. We had a great time.

I had no idea going in who the headliner was. In fact, I had no idea who the headliner was until halfway through his act. Then he mentioned something about 7-Up commercials, and it clicked. Orlando Jones. In my first two times at comedy shows, the headliner wasn't anyone I'd heard of and I certainly don't remember now. So it was interesting to find myself two rows of tables away from an honest-to-goodness celebrity whom I'd seen on television on and off since the 1990s, and I didn't even know it until a half-hour into his act. Wow, I felt clueless.

In other news: In the street outside my work building right now, about 2,000 Occupy Denver protesters are marching through the intersection of Colfax and Broadway and mucking up traffic. It's sure not something I see every day, and if I had a camera with me, I would have snapped a shot and posted it. After a month of putting articles about these folks in the newspaper, I still can't figure out what exactly they want. It's a general outpouring of frustration over economic inequity, but do they have a leader? A goal? Or do they plan to march with their signs, yelling about the 99 percent and getting themselves arrested, without having an endgame in mind?

1 comment:

Grayson said...

Clueless in a charmingly cute way: welcome to my world. :-) (At least, they tell me I'm cute and charming...I'm certainly often clueless.)

I think the answer to your question about the 99 percent is "the latter." I hope it will cause no harm (well, I hope it will effect positive change, but I think that's unlikely). I fear it will degenerate into apocalyptic anarchy. Perhaps I read (and write) too much speculative fiction.