Friday, November 25, 2011

Yes, I survived Black Friday shopping

For the second year in a row, I braved WalMart on Thanksgiving night. And for the second year in a row, I live to tell the tale.

This year, WalMart started its door-buster sales at 10 p.m. instead of midnight. I had a short list of items to procure, starting with a couple of video games for my kids. The line for the video games was already a hundred people long by the time I found it, and it added another hundred or two people after me. And the store had 12 of each video game title. Twelve. Every few minutes, an employee would come down the line telling us which games they had just run out of, to a chorus of groans and curses. But thankfully, my two target games were still in stock when my turn came.

After that was DVDs and Blu-Rays, clothes and toys. The movies and television shows were well-picked-over by the time I got to them. I saw plenty of customers carrying off 10 to 20 discs apiece. One woman literally filled her cart to the brim with Blu-Rays. I bought three. Two as presents, and True Blood season 2 for me.

I found everything on my list except sheets, which were long gone by the time I figured out where they were. I spent $75 on a pile of merchandise that normally would cost three times that much. And I was home by 11 p.m., at which time I tag-teamed my husband, who headed out to Target. All in all, a very successful trip.

No comments: