Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Turkey Day!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I am spending this warm, sunny holiday in the newsroom. Yep, I'm working. And I'm thankful for it. There was a possibility that I would not have a job this holiday season if my employer did not get a satisfactory number of buyout takers and commenced with the firings. But -- in not so shocking news -- a lot of my newspaper colleagues are taking the chance to jump ship and get paid well for doing so. Still, I am sad that we are losing such excellent journalists.

After work, I plan to hit the midnight Black Friday sales. If this is my last blog post, that means I didn't make it out alive. Ha.

My husband and I took our kids to see "The Muppets" yesterday, and a fun time was had by all. It's not a fantastic movie, and not as good as the original Muppets movie, but it had enough celebrity cameos and silliness to keep adults and children entertained, and that's saying something.

We had some sad news in the book world this week, and it would have been hard to miss with all the coverage and remembrances I've seen. Anne McCaffrey died. I read "Dragonflight" when I was 9 or 10, and it was my first exposure to adult fantasy. Since then, I've read most of the Pern books and a smattering from her other series. What an amazing writer. She also paid it forward by serving as a judge for the Writers of the Future contest. She will be missed.

No comments: