Sunday, November 6, 2011

The morning routine

When I wake up each morning, I pour a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice and boot up my laptop. Just for the heck of it, here are the websites I usually visit and the order in which I visit them:

1. First up is my e-mail account. I'll accumulate five to 10 messages overnight, most of them junk. There will be stories from Every Day Fiction and Daily Science Fiction in there, too. Those aren't junk.

2. Next is the Hatrack River Writers Workshop. I've had an account there since September 2008 and tend to read posts more often than I respond to them.

3. Next: the Writers of the Future forum. Ditto from above, except my account there is less than a year old. While I'm at it, I might visit judge K.D. Wentworth's message board.

4. After the forums, I go to Duotrope and check the RSS Feed of responses to the various markets I have stories out to at that time. This gives me a good idea of when I can expect my response to pop into my e-mail box.

5. Last, I hit the entertainment news and science-fiction websites: Entertainment Weekly, blastr, tor.com and SF Signal.

No comments: