Friday, December 2, 2011

Casting "Ender's Game"

Writing progress: In a burst of creative energy, I finished the first draft of the work-in-progress last night. My goal was to keep it under 4,000 words, and as of right now, it's about 4,100. Some easy cutting will get the length where it needs to be.

Now, onto the topic of this post: the "Ender's Game" movie. It's been talked about for years but has never been greenlit for production until recently, which was fine with me. "Ender's Game" is one of my favorite books. I first read it in sixth grade and have re-read it many times over the years. I have a hard time believing a movie adaptation would be anything but a huge disappointment.

But no matter what I think, the casting rumors have begun. Here's what we have so far.
  • Asa Butterfield as Ender. He's currently starring in "Hugo," which is winning rave reviews across the board. I've never seen him in anything, but he pretty much looks like what I always imagined Ender would look like. I'm tentatively pleased with this casting.
  • Hailie Steinfeld as Petra. The rumor mill indicates she's in talks for the role. I loved her in "True Grit," so I could see this happening. She's probably too young to play Valentine, considering the children's ages have been bumped up a few years. Besides, I suspect Valentine and Peter will become footnotes in a streamlined movie script.
  • Harrison Ford as Graff. Again, word is he's being courted for the part. I don't know what to think about this one. Physical appearance is my main concern. In my mind's eye, Graff is a huge man and Ford, well, isn't. Otherwise, I love Ford's work and figure he could probably pull it off. I think I'd rather see him as Mazer Rackham, though.

So who's left? Of the Battle School kids, there's Bean, Ali, Dink Meeker, Bonzo and Rose the Nose (and a lot of others who aren't as important to the plot). As for adults, there's Ender's parents, Anderson and Mazer Rackham. And, of course, Peter and Valentine, but as I said above, I think their storyline will be mostly written out.

I'm mostly at a loss for whom I would cast, partly because I'm not up on Hollywood's young actors. Any ideas who you'd like to see on screen?

Edited Dec. 9 to add: The rumor mill is now whispering that Ben Kingsley might be up for playing Mazer Rackham. If all these rumors turn out to be true, this is shaping up to be quite an all-star cast. Still, I say switch the roles for Kingsley and Ford, and they're set.

No comments: