Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolution redux

Happy New Year's!

I have to say, 2011 was a mixed year for me. In the first six months, I was on a roll: two sales, an anthology reprint and a semi-finalist in Writers of the Future. The second half of the year - and especially the last three months - pretty much sucked from a writing standpoint. I had little to no desire to write, and my productivity dropped off to almost nil. In November and December, I wrote only one story, and it will only ever been seen by a couple of trusted friends who informed me - albeit very nicely - that it wasn't my best work.

From a person standpoint, 2011 was a good year. My husband, children, parents, siblings, etc. are all healthy and happy. I made good friends online in the writing community, and one in particular who has become one of my best friends. I like my job and still have a job, which was iffy for about six weeks there in the fall.

In saying goodbye to 2011, I will now look back at the goals I set at the start of the year and whether I reached them.

1. Write more. Last year, I wrote about 45,000 words and finished seven stories. This year, the goal is to beat that. I intend to write at least two stories every three months: one for Writers of the Future and at least one for other markets. I had a bigger word count than I did in 2010, but only barely. I wrote eight stories, but three were bad enough that they immediately went in the trash can. I did enter Writers of the Future every quarter.

2. Submit more. Last year's stat was 20 submissions, so this year I need to do more. I also intend to start submitting more to the professional markets. Success! Twenty-nine submissions made, most of them to professional-paying markets.

3. Read outside my comfort genres. Again, success. Only about half of my novel choices in the past year were science fiction or fantasy.

4. And in a non-writing goal, I resolve to stay in shape. This has been hit-or-miss. I'm doing well right now, going to the health club three or four times a week. I haven't added any poundage this year, so I guess that qualifies as a success, as well.

Tomorrow, resolutions for 2012.

No comments: