Thursday, January 12, 2012

USA Today's top 100 books for 2011

USA Today has published on its website its top 100 best-selling books for 2011. Some interesting tidbits I noticed about the list.
  • Four of the top 10 books are young adult. Three are written by Suzanne Collins. One is a biography. I've read five of them, and my 7-year-old son has read one (not hard to guess which one).
  • You have to go down to No. 18 to find an adult fantasy book, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, which was originally published in 1996. Martin's newest installment in the series comes in at No. 26.
  • Stephenie Meyer doesn't show up until No. 38 with Breaking Dawn, and it's her only entry on the list.
  • There's a heck of a lot of James Patterson. I wonder how many of these books were released this year.
  • At No. 56 is The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan. I read about this book recently and that Chan published it herself as an e-book. As far as I can tell, it's the only self-published book on the list. (But I'm probably wrong about that.)
  • There's a lot of Diary of a Wimpy Kid (by Jeff Kinney) and teenage Olympian gods (by Rick Riordan). In fact, there's a lot of YA in general. Parents must be buying loads of books in the hopes that their kids will actually read them. I hope they're succeeding.
  • A couple of oldies but goodies: What to Expect When You're Expecting (No. 85) and To Kill a Mockingbird (No. 88).
  • Hey, look, it's J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is No. 99.

No comments: