Monday, February 20, 2012

General updatetry

The Nebula Award nominations came out today and you can read the full list here. Once again I've managed to read next to nothing that the bulk of SFWA members thought was great last year. I've read none of the novels; one novella (Kij Johnson's wonderful "The Man Who Bridged the Mist"); one novelette ("Ray of Light" by Brad R. Torgersen); and one short story ("Shipbirth" by Aliette de Bodard). I have some catching up to do.

However, I have been reading other things. This past week, I finished "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher and "The Alchemist" by Paolo Bacigalupi (which was nominated for a Nebula last year). I highly recommend both. I've started "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey, which will probably take me several weeks to get through because it is a door stop.

Tor.com is doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer rewatch. They're now starting in on Season 2, which is my second favorite season (No. 5 is the best, IMO). I feel nostalgic every time I read one of the posts and get an itch to pull my DVD sets off the shelf. I love one of the comments on today's post -- made by editor extraordinaire Gardner Dozois, no less -- who points out that every evil thing always kicks off its take-over-the-world plan by attacking the Bronze. Ha! It's because the Bronze is The Place To Be, of course.

And a last note: the Oscar's are this weekend. I usually watch the best picture nominees as they come out on DVD. So far this year I've seen ... Moneyball. That's it. The only other nominated movies I've watched: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Bridesmaids, Kung Fu Panda 2, Rango, The Muppets, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and Jane Eyre. So when I make my Oscar picks later this week, I'll be doing it based on critical opinion and not my own. Oh well.

2 comments:

Justin A. Williams said...

Don't feel too bad, I can be more or less certain, even without looking at the list with my eyes, that I haven't read any of them. I have gotten in a lot of reading in recent months but its mostly been older stuff.

I've only ever watched the Oscars once, when Return of the King was up for best picture. This is mostly because 1) I'm not really big on awards and competitions for things that are totally a matter of opinion and 2) Fantasy/sci fi/horror movies essentially never win any of the "big" ones anyway, which I feel largely removes any notions of it being unbiased anyway.

Justin A. Williams said...

I've "tagged" you in my most recent blog-post.