Friday, February 24, 2012

My Oscar picks

I will be driving over the Rocky Mountains on Sunday night, coming back from my grandfather's 90th birthday party (90!) when the Oscars ceremony will air. So I won't be watching for the first time in years. But I still enjoy making predictions on who/what will win. Some of my picks are based on critical opinions and some are blind guesses. Almost none are based on my opinions because I've hardly watched any of the nominated movies this year. Here we go:

Best picture: The Artist
Actor: George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Actress: Viola Davis, "The Help"
Supporting actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Supporting actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help"
Animated film: Rango
Cinematography: The Artist
Art direction: Hugo
Costume design: Jane Eyre
Directing: Michael Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Documentary feature: Undefeated
Documentary short: Saving Face
Film editing: The Descendants
Foreign language film: A Separation
Makeup: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Original score: The Artist
Original song: Man or Muppet, "The Muppets"
Short film animated: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Short film live action: Time Freak
Sound editing: Drive
Sound mixing: War Horse
Visual effects: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Adapted screenplay: The Ides of March
Original screenplay: Midnight in Paris

I'll post how I did on Monday.

2 comments:

David B. Riley said...

Overall, I like being an eccentric kook and never like the movies anyone else likes. My favorite movie was Kill Bill, afterall. Still, I only saw four movies last year--the final Harry Potter, The Green Hornet,Sherlock Holmes & Cowboys & Aliens. Unless I've missed something, only one of them was even nominated for anything. So, I don't care who wins. I've got to go back to my bunker now.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Hey, David. Of yours, I saw Harry Potter (which should have gotten a best picture nomination) and Cowboys & Aliens. Most of my film choices nowadays revolve around my kids, which means I've seen most of the animated movies (and The Muppets) and not much else. I'll watch whatever wins the big awards when they come out on DVD.