Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar redux, and a trip

In my Oscar picks, I got 13 right, which is more than half but not as good as I've done in some years. I missed actor and actress, although I enjoyed the acceptance speeches of both Jean Dujardin and Meryl Streep (which, along with best picture, were the only awards I saw).

The reason I missed most of the Oscars ceremony was because my two youngest children and I traveled over the Rocky Mountains to Grand Junction this weekend for my grandpa's 90th birthday celebration. The trip can be difficult in winter, but we had clear skies Saturday and Sunday. I caught up with a lot of distant relatives I haven't seen in a long time and some I don't ever remembering meeting. I heard a few variations on: "The last time I saw you, you were 4 years old!" Most importantly, I got to spend some time with my grandparents for the first time in months. I hope I'm doing that well when I hit 90. Despite spending 10 hours on the road over two days, the trip was definitely worth it.

On a side note, at these kinds of gatherings, I notice people are generally remembered for one thing, and it's all they get asked about. For instance, one of my cousins does a lot of traveling (in the U.S. and abroad) for his job, so we all ask him about where he's been over the past few weeks. As for me, I am the writer of the family. Everyone asks me how the writing is going and whether I've had anything published lately. If I have to be labeled as something, I'm proud that it's as a writer.

No comments: