Friday, February 10, 2012

Thank goodness for Good Samaritans

I parked in a usual spot in downtown Denver today and walked a half-mile from my car to the office. About 6 p.m., I walked back to get my car and move it into the office parking garage. (I pay the cheap option on the garage, which means I can get in only after 6 p.m. and on weekends.)

Anyway, I started up the engine, put it in drive and the wheels spun. Put it in reverse. The wheels spun. I spent five minutes turning the wheel this way and that, going forward, going back. I was stuck. And the sad part is that the snow is mostly melted off. I just happened to park in an ice rut.

I went across the street, where a guy was using a pickup with a plow attached to the front to clear out a pay lot. He very nicely agreed to give me a push. No good. He went and found a friend who was also clearing snow. The two of them still could not get my car out. So they enlisted another guy. By this time, I was very thankful that so many of them were out clearing snow from a parking lot at 6:30 p.m., when most people are home eating dinner. Finally, with three big guys pushing the front end of my car, my little Corolla rolled backward out of the ice and onto dry asphalt.

I checked later and found out the parking lot is leased for use by employees of a local hospital: Exempla Saint Joseph.

Too bad it wasn't the other hospital owned by Exempla in the area: Good Samaritan.

1 comment:

Justin A. Williams said...

I've found that winter weather seems to bring out the best in people. Kind of like a natural disaster, even if it isn't disaster level...everyone is in the same boat and it seems to create a stronger sense of unity and community than one might otherwise experience.

I just wish I had some winter weather. Sigh.