Sunday, February 12, 2012

Writing progress

We are (almost) midway through the month, so it's time for an update.

Writing: So far this month, I've written a 1,000-word flash story (dark fantasy) and 1,500 words on my next Writers of the Future entry (science fiction), which is coming along swimmingly. My goal is at least 5,000 words per month, so I'm right on target for reaching that goal in February.

Submissions: I've sent out one new submission this month, for a total of five stories on the market. Days out range from 4 to 129.

Reading: I've finished the current issue of Asimov's and am now reading the current Analog. No stories yet stand out as gold. I'm also listening to "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher, which is the first book in his Harry Dresden series. Mr. Butcher is a master of pacing and tension. There's a lot to learn from there. Also, it doesn't hurt that the audiobook's narrator is none other than the fantastic James Marsters, a k a Spike on "Buffy."

3 comments:

Justin A. Williams said...

Woo hoo! Those are the two key things-writing, and submitting. The only parts of the process we have any control over.

Justin A. Williams said...

Oh and I forgot to add...James Marsters is always good. I saw him in a movie the other day where he was speaking without the accent. It was...disorienting.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Too bad we don't have control over the selling part, too. :)

James Marsters is awesome. I've seen him in person a couple of times at conventions. I once ended up at the end of a long autograph line and thanked him when I got to the front for staying long enough to get to everyone. And he turned it around and thanked me, saying that us fans were the reason he was still employed. Ha.