Monday, March 12, 2012

Writing progress and other things

Since the start of the month, I've been working through a redraft of my next Writers of the Future entry. Mostly my focus has been on replacing infodumps (i.e. characters talking about what's going on) with action scenes. I'm also simplifying the plot, boosting conflict and clarifying themes. An unexpected side effect of all this is that the redraft is coming out several hundred words shorter than the first draft.

I finished Tobias Buckell's novella "The Executioness" last night and enjoyed it a lot. I'm also working my way through the most recent issue of Asimov's magazine. The only story so far to blow my socks off is "Riding Red Ted and Breathing Fire" by Carol Emshwiller.

And in the life of the Hicks family, my daughter has viral conjunctivitis, otherwise known as pink eye. But being the viral kind, medicinal drops won't help. We have to wait for it to go away, which the doctor says will take about a week. In the meantime, she can't go to preschool and will be hanging out with boring old mom in the afternoons. I think I've already failed in my goal of preventing anyone else in the family from contracting the pink eye. The virus' next victim: me.

No comments: