Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hugo nominees

Nominees for the 2012 Hugo Awards and the John W. Campbell Award for New Writer have been announced. You can see the full list here.

As usual, I haven't read many of the fiction nominees.
  • None in the novel category. I'm working my way through George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, but I haven't gotten to "A Dance With Dragons" yet.
  • One novella: "The Man Who Bridged the Mist" by the excellent Kij Johnson.
  • One novelette: "Ray of Light" by Brad Torgersen. I'm happy to see him nominated. Although I don't know him personally, I've been in an online writers group with Brad since before his first pro sale. It's inspiring to watch how far his career has come in so short a time.
  • None of the short stories.
And as usual, I'm most familiar with the film and television categories. I've seen four of the five long-form nominees and am rooting for either Harry Potter or Game of Thrones. Doctor Who dominates the short-form category with three nominations. The best of those episodes is "The Doctor's Wife" -- although "The Girl Who Waited" gets better every time I watch it.

Congrats to all the nominees. The winners will be announced at WorldCon, held Aug. 30 - Sept. 3 in Chicago.

No comments: