Thursday, April 5, 2012

I wonder how often this happens

My 7-year-old is the sweetest boy a mother could ask for (not that I'm bias or anything). He has sensory processing disorder, which has resulted in developmental delays in his motor skills, so until last year he was in his school's special education program to get the extra help he needed. He's also very impulsive, and I hear some interesting stories from his teacher. For instance, my son recently took in a lesson while half out of his desk with his head on the floor.

This week, the school psychologist tested him for the gifted and talented program. I've always known he's whip-smart, but I didn't expect anything to come of the testing. Instead, he tested at a "superior" level. He's well above the threshold for being considered gifted. The appropriate people at his school will now come up with a plan to help him reach his academic potential, which will go into effect next school year.

The upshot of all that: My son is both remedial and gifted.

Huh.

Now I'm no dummy. I skipped a grade in elementary school. (As a side note, that destroyed my social life for years after and I absolutely will not allow anyone to do that to my son.) I graduated high school with a 3.9 GPA and college with a 3.8. I suspect that by the time my son hits high school, he will be leaving me in his intellectual dust.

It's overwhelming to think about that with my sweet, impulsive boy who has difficulty forming his letters and wants to operate a crane when he grows up. I am looking forward more than ever now to see where his life's journey takes him. I don't think it will be to a construction site.

3 comments:

Doug said...

Maybe it's genetic. Your description of your son fits MacKenzie Sarah almost identically. She is in the school's gifted program and has had sensory issues. Are you still coming to NC for that writer's workshop this summer? We bought MacKenzie a few of your publications so she knows writing runs in the family.

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Hi Doug. Nice to meet you. I take it you're MacKenzie's father? I know she's a few years ahead of Brandon. How does she and you handle the sensory issues? I won't know whether I'm accepted to the NC workshop for another couple weeks. That's fantastic that MacKenzie wants to write. It's so much fun but also takes hard work, patience and a thick skin.

Grayson Bray Morris said...

Jennifer, I'm so glad to hear you won't let your son skip grades despite his intelligence. I skipped two, and eventually ended up repeating seventh grade in a new town because I was an absolutely miserable little girl, socially speaking. I think social well-being is more important than learning at a faster pace (and I needed all the help I could get there, in the first place -- skipping grades was pretty much poison). All the knowledge will still be there for him for the rest of his life, but it's hard to repair self-esteem. I'm really relieved to see that you already know this!