Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ring of Fire

Today is the first time in about 20 years that Denver will get a partial solar eclipse. The moon will cover 80 percent of the sun. The last time we had a solar eclipse here, I was in high school. My science teacher set up a telescope with a special lens in the senior courtyard. When I wasn't in class, I was out there watching the eclipse. It was fascinating and beautiful. At its peak, I thought the sunlight might dim, so it would feel more like early twilight. It didn't, but the temperature dropped.

I'll be working this evening, so I can't watch. But I have bugged my husband into helping our kids make a pinpoint viewer out of a shoe box. Another 20 years might pass before we get another event like this, and I don't want them to miss it.

Here's a nice graphic that shows the path of the eclipse.

And here's how to make your own pinpoint viewer.

No comments: