Friday, August 17, 2012

August, so far

It's been too long since I last posted here. Let's see what news I have to share since the start of August.

Not much.

I've been writing, of course. I finished a 4,000-word story that my critique partners did not like very much. They suggested ways to fix it, but I don't know whether I'm willing to start from scratch on a story that I'm not overly passionate about in the first place. So I started a new story instead, an expansion of a flash piece I wrote a couple months ago, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this one so far.

I finished reading Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty and the Silver Bullet" a few days ago. I plowed through it, as I almost always do with Carrie Vaughn's books because her writing style is readable. I'm now reading Lev Grossman's "The Magician King." I blogged about the first book in that series, "The Magicians," last year. I loved Grossman's writing style but not his protagonist. We'll see whether Quintin can manage to be a less-miserable person this time around.

And the big news: On Monday, I will have my pro-writing debut when Daily Science Fiction publishes my flash story "30 Pounds of Human Tissue." Only DSF subscribers will get the story that day. Everyone else will have to wait a week until it's posted to the DSF website.

No comments: