Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Catching up on movies

Capsule reviews of a few movies I've seen recently both in the theaters and on DVD:

Skyfall: My hubby and I went to see this for my birthday, and I loved it. The latest James Bond outing had just the right amounts of action and character, with a few nice twists at the end. Javier Bardem has become one of my favorite Bond villains. I didn't particularly like Bond's callus treatment of one of the requisite Bond girls, which made him come across as too Machiavellian.

Snow White and the Huntsman: Awful, awful, awful. Did I say this was awful? The character development is nonexistent except for the evil queen's, the love triangle is completely unnecessary, and there's no resolution to the relationship between the two title characters -- if there's a relationship at all. And Kristen Stewart is miscast.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days: Hey, it's Thanksgiving break, my kids are out of school and the local cheap theater had an afternoon matinee. My kids loved it, especially my 8-year-old son. For me, the story felt like a succession of skits rather than a unified plot, but I suppose that works well for kids with short attention spans.

No comments: