Saturday, November 3, 2012

Writers of the Future, Quarter 3

Another honorable mention. Unlike last quarter, when I was happy with that result, this time it's a disappointment. This story is better than an HM. Under the judgeship of Kathy Wentworth, I think it would have been a semi or finalist. What does this tell me? David Wolverton's tastes and my stories do not connect. Writers of the Future is a fantastic way for new writers to gain visibility, but it's not the only way. In the past 24 hours, two people whom I trust have suggested that I need to stop entering this contest and focus my attention elsewhere. Try a different path. I'm thinking they're right. I'll probably enter a trunk story in Q1, just for the hell of it, and that will be the end of it for me. Four years is long enough to be beating my head against this particular wall.

The tally in 15 quarters of entering:
  • 1 semi-finalist
  • 1 silver honorable mention
  • 8 honorable mentions
  • 5 rejections

2 comments:

Ben Mann said...

I'm pretty sure I agree with your sentiment here Jennifer. After reading some of your work I'd expect you could easily have it published elsewhere and so pro-out of WotF eligibility. Further, if that's the case then perhaps WotF isn't really going to do as much for you as you might hope?

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Thanks, Ben. I've come to realize that continuing to make WotF a priority won't serve well me in the long run. I've learned and improved while writing my entries, and in that way the contest has been good for me. But I don't think it's as much a matter of quality anymore that's holding me back, but the tastes of the judges. And that's not something I can fix. It's been a good run, but it's time for me to move on to new challenges.