Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goals for 2013

Happy New Year. Welcome to 2013, and may it be better than the year before it. Here are my goals for 2013, in writing and otherwise.

1. Write a novel.
I've been writing short stories for almost five years, with the purpose of learning the craft. I've come to love the short form and will continue to write and submit at that length. But it's time for me to tackle something longer. If I'm ever to have a career in writing, I need to go where the money is, and that's novels. I don't know what I'm going to write, or even in what genre. That'll be coming over the next month or so.

2. Apply to a writers workshop.
Specifically, Orson Scott Card's bootcamp. I applied last year, and I'll do it again. Of course that's no guarantee of getting in.

3. Take better care of myself.
Like most mothers, I put myself last on my own list of priorities. This year, I will make more of an effort to do things for myself. That means eating healthy and getting back to the gym on a regular basis. It means treating myself to a movie, or a new book, or a couple of pieces of clothing or shoes, and not feeling guilty about it.

No comments: