Tuesday, January 29, 2013

More on Ray Gun Chronicles

I've added a link over at the right side of the screen to the Ray Gun Chronicles Kickstarter. Thirty-seven days to go to make this anthology a reality. The editor, Bryan Thomas Schmidt, has asked us writers to share the origins of our stories, and I'm happy to oblige.

My story in this anthology, "Malfunction," is unusual for a few reasons. First off, it's one of those rare stories that I wrote by the seat of my pants. I'm usually an obsessive outliner, but with this one, I simply started writing and let the story go where it would. I had no plan, no theme. I was as surprised as anyone when my malfunctioning android declared that he was a time traveler and one of the most important scientists in all of human history. This story is also unusual in that I wrote the first draft all in one sitting. I waited until my family had gone to bed, and then in the quiet living room, I wrote for about three hours straight. When the first draft was done, the revisions were minimal -- another rarity for me. Most of what's on the page are the raw, late-night conjurings of my imagination.

The acceptance from Ray Gun Revival was, at that time, the biggest sale of my fledgling career, and I am so happy that this story has found new life in the Ray Gun Chronicles anthology. For as little as a $5 pledge, you get a contributor's credit and an ebook copy of the anthology. For bigger pledges, there are bigger rewards. So go ahead and click the icon over at the right, make a pledge if you'd like, and help support this great project.

No comments: