Tuesday, February 19, 2013

General updatery

I have a Q&A posted today for the Fireside Kickstarter. I think the timing is rather interesting. I talk about my story that takes place on a planet whose orbit takes it through an asteroid belt, which might resonate with people after the Russian meteor and the larger near-miss of last week.

In other news, I finished a story yesterday. The writing got to be a bit of a slog on this one, but it's done. Thank goodness. I wish I could say it was my second or third story of the year, but alas it is No. 1. I will strive to do better.

And I am currently reading outside my normal fantasy/science-fiction genres, having picked up the crime drama "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. I'm about 80 percent through, which means I don't even know how it ends yet, but I will recommend this book to just about anyone. Flynn has done some things I'm in awe of. First off, there's the twist. Not just a twist but The Twist, in all caps, a jaw-dropping "holy crap!" moment that I never saw coming. I'm rarely surprised, so a twist like this is a rare and precious gift for me. Flynn has also managed the magic trick of making characters who do horrible terrible awful things to each other into relatively sympathetic characters. I'm rooting for everyone, and I have no clue how it's going to turn out. I love that. Great stuff.

No comments: