Friday, June 28, 2013

When it rains ...

What a day, what a day.

I started this morning frantically trying to finish the story I will be entering in this quarter's Writers of the Future. The deadline is in three days. I reached "the end" in my notebook and now I have to transcribe into the file on my laptop and do some cleanup.

Then I drove to work. Three blocks from my office, while inching through slow traffic at a light, a van smacked into the back of my car. I'm not injured, at least not beyond the usual soreness you'd expect when your car gets rear-ended. But my car's backside has a dent the size and shape of the van's license plate. (Turns out a third car hit the van, which then hit mine.) It should be noted that this is the first time I've ever gotten into an accident with another human. Deer and foxes, sure. But not humans. So now I'm looking at dealing with insurance, finding a repair shop and driving a rental for several days because I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I only hope I have my car back, repaired and ready to go, by mid-July when I go to the Launch Pad astronomy workshop in Wyoming.

Today I'm also making phone calls, printing out forms and generally working my way through the process of dealing with a behavioral medical issue for one of my kids. I don't feel comfortable yet sharing the details publicly, mostly because we're in a pre-diagnosis stage. The whole process has certainly been wearing on me for the past few weeks.

All this, and it's only 3 p.m. I wonder what will the rest of the day bring.

No comments: