Saturday, August 3, 2013

Saturday stuff and fluff

My "Tortoise and the Hare" approach to writing seems to be working. About two weeks ago, I decided to put less pressure on myself to produce big word counts. There are too many other nonwriting things on my plate (and I'm too slow a writer) for me to realistically say I'm going to write several hundred words per day. The general result of making those kinds of goals is that I freeze up and don't write at all. Not good. So when I came back from Launch Pad, I set the goal of 200 words minimum every day -- slow but steady, like the tortoise who eventually wins the race. So far I have hit that goal and then some every day. This past week, my word count was between 1,500 and 2,000.

Submissions this week: 2, one of them out for the first time

In other news, a mixed blessing: I think I've pinpointed the source of the unrelenting nausea I've been experiencing for the past three weeks, and it's dairy products. In the few days since I've cut all dairy from my diet, I've had no stomach issues. However, this is distressing to me. I love milk, yogurt, cheese and ice cream. But apparently my body is saying "no."

I watched the first half of the first episode of BBC's "Broadchurch" online last night, and I will definitely finish it tonight. I cried watching it. There were actual tears, which never happens for me. I'm looking forward to the official series premiere next week. I'm also looking forward to the reveal tomorrow of the actor or actress who will replace Matt Smith on "Doctor Who," though I am miffed at BBC for how they've handled it. There was to be a "big announcement" on Thursday, and then the announcement was ... that they're going to make an announcement on Sunday. Very lame, BBC.

No comments: