Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to school

This week has been a strange one, but I need to get used to it because it's going to be my new normal. For the first time in 11 years, since my now-stepson came to live with me and my husband (then fiance) full time, there are no children in the house during the school day. Our youngest is in first grade this year, which is her first time in full-day school. That results in a bit of an empty nest. It's a mixed blessing. My days off are now flush with hours and hours in which I can do pretty much whatever I want, but I also miss my kids.

This week, I used that time to finish my current work-in-progress, which came in a little under 7,000 words. The dog and I went for some walks. I caught up on television shows. I've done some reading. Oh, and chores and errands. But the house is too quiet, and I found myself doing my writing at a nearby Starbucks. I remember being single once with all my time as my own, but that was so long ago that I've forgotten how to handle it. It'll come back to me how to use the time soon enough, I'm sure.

 Bits and pieces:

No comments: