Sunday, September 1, 2013

Stuff and fluff, a day late

Yesterday was an exhausting day, mostly thanks to my day job. Labor Day weekend means more advertising in the newspaper, which is a mixed blessing. It's more revenue for the paper but also means a proportionally larger news hole to fill. And if that wasn't enough, I was kept more than busy thanks to Obama's statement on Syria. The upshot is, I didn't have time or energy for blogging.

Labor Day weekend in downtown Denver also means the always delightful Taste of Colorado festival (sarcasm alert!). As has become typical for me over the past few years, instead of hanging out with fellow writers at WorldCon or fellow geeks at DragonCon, I am dodging jaywalking pedestrians and red-light-running vehicles while navigating the business access lane on Broadway to get to my office. I would rather be in San Antonio or Atlanta. But I still plan to watch the live-streaming Hugo Awards ceremony tonight.

I wrote a couple of flash stories this week and submitted one. The other needs some work.

Submissions this week: 2

I'm reading Mary Robinette Kowal's "Without a Summer," which I'm enjoying just as much as I enjoyed the first book in the series -- that is to say, a lot. I'm also reading Ted Chiang's novella "The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feeling" at Subterranean Press.

Overall stats for August:
Word count: Not sure, but between 6,000 and 8,000
Total submissions: 8

No comments: